Getting injured is common among student-athletes throughout Atlanta. However, getting injured on the sports field should not be accepted as normal. Preventative actions can help keep your children safe, and regular Orthopedic Treatment allows them to avoid common injuries like sprains, strains, and fractures.
Preventing Sports Injuries
Consider the following tips that can help sports injuries during the back-to-school season:
- If your child or children are planning on joining a sports team in the fall, make sure they are preparing now. Most sports injuries occur as a result of remaining stationary for too long and suddenly jumping right into active exercise.
- Make sure your children exercise throughout the week, not just on the weekends.
- When first getting back into their sport, have them start out slow and gradually build out their workouts.
- Before starting their first workouts, have your children ease into things by jogging for 15 minutes and then following through with various stretches that help warm up their body.
- Make sure that your kids’ athletic gear is appropriate e.g. their sneakers fit comfortably; their equipment doesn’t contain any cracks or dents, etc.
Making sure that your children begin preparing for their sport gradually allows their body to increase its durability without becoming overstrained. Maintaining a consistent workout schedule is important, even if they are only able to workout three times a week for an hour at a time – it will dramatically reduce their chances of pulling a muscle or tearing a ligament. Their warm-ups should always comprise of light cardiovascular exercise that’s complemented with active stretching.
Orthopedic Doctors Can Help Before or After A Sports-Related Injury
AICA Orthopedics serves as Atlanta’s premier Orthopedic Clinic – helping hundreds of student-athletes prevent or overcome common injuries. Spinal adjustments help relieve common aches and pains associated with the neck or back, while the complementary therapies our clinic offers assist in strengthening the body to help prevent injuries from occurring.
Our Atlanta Orthopedic Doctors can also provide lifestyle adjustments that help student-athletes maximize their abilities and preserve their health for the long-term. Understanding how to develop an appropriate diet that meets the demands of each athlete’s chosen sport helps maintain a healthy system that is prepared to endure and recover from minor accidents that can happen on the sports field.
If you are interested in protecting your children from possible injuries related to their favorite sport, have them visit AICA Orthopedics. Contact or call our clinic today at (404) 855-2141 to schedule your student-athletes first appointment.